What I Learned at FYF Fest 2013
Photo: FYF Fest 2013 by Laura Baker-Finch
Los Angeles, California -- As my first FYF Fest, and first festival in Los Angeles, I took a bit more away from the weekend than tan lines and new holes in my shoes. Scroll down for my new insights - into both the festival and life - then check out the weekend's top 10 moments.
1. FYF Fest stands for Fuck Yeah Fest Fest, not Fuck You FestWhat Kelley of The Breeders thought.
2. Don't pick your schedule based on stage namesFYF's four stages were named after the Sex & the City foursome but while you may think of yourself as a "Charlotte," I can't imagine her being a fan of No Age, despite their stage placement.
3. This is the proper way to define "21 & Over."In a timeline, that is.
4. LA is super strict on IDsSecurity won't care if you've been cleared by the ID check, re-checked into the beer garden, and don't even have a beer in hand - you'll probably still be accosted for a re-check.
5. Guards have a cooler grandma than you doAnd they let everyone know it. (Photo via Guards' Instagram)
6. Founder Sean Carlson is loyal to local musicians and friends of FYFNo matter their band trajectory. Richie Follin had played the festival 6 times (not all with Guards) and No Age clocked in at a solid 7 out of 10 FYFs.
7. Banh Mi and Baroness is an ideal combinationAnd, no, Baroness is not the band's name because there is a female singer. More here.
8. Facetime is the new live streamYes, there is something more annoying than people taking photos with iPads. The trajectory has gone from cameras, to camera phones, to video phones, to iPads, and now.. to facetiming. It's the new live stream.
But at least this guy wasn't in attendance. (Photo via Reddit)
9. Wood chips < grassUnfortunately, the former is what covers LA State Historic Park. It may not be as dusty as Coachella, but you're still likely to be covered in a light dusty film or begin turning a tissue black upon sneezing. Bring a bandana.
10. Use the secret menu at In N Out BurgerThe perfect (West Coast) post-festival meal got even better during Joyce Manor's set as the best secret options were divulged during crowd sourcing. Watching your carbs? Order the Flying Dutchman. (Photo via Serious Eats)
11. You should always bring a spare ampAlso learned from Joyce Manor.
Follow @laurajbf on Twitter
See Also:Top 10 Moments from FYF Fest 2013
InstaWorld: FYF Fest 2013 Edition
Cultivora's 5 Top Picks for FYF Fest 2013